What types of prenatal care services do you offer?
When it comes to prenatal care, SWHC’s goals are to maintain the health of mother and child, to monitor you for the development of any high-risk conditions, and to provide education for you and your family about pregnancy, birth, and the transition to parenting.
Shenandoah Women’s Healthcare prenatal services include:
- Appointments: You’ll have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with your physicians and nurse-midwives at regular times in your pregnancy, to monitor your health and get all your questions answered.
- Testing: For your convenience, they can perform ultrasounds, lab work, and even non-stress tests in their office.
- Education: You’ll have access to a wealth of information and resources before, during, and after pregnancy, including our childbirth and breastfeeding classes, and New Mom’s Support Group. Click here for more information regarding Childbirth classes (look for dates and descriptions on the event calendar).
- Personalized Care: When you meet with your provider, you may choose traditional care or opt for the Centering Pregnancy approach, which involves regular meetings with a group of other expectant mothers.
- Massage Therapy: A prenatal massage can help relieve many of the most common discomforts that come with a normal pregnancy, including backaches, leg cramps, swelling, and headaches.
- Labor Planning: Labor is a stressful but perfectly natural part of becoming a parent. We’ll help you plan for a safe birth that fits your needs and desires.
What should I bring to my first appointment?
Bring a list of any medications you’re currently taking. Many patients also like to come prepared with a list of questions and concerns, and a pen to take notes.
What type of birth can I have?
When it comes to labor, the first priority is a healthy mom and baby, but they’ll also do everything they can to help you have the type of birth you want. SWHC has successfully helped mothers through a variety of different types of births, including:When it comes to labor, the first priority is a healthy mom and baby, but they’ll also do everything they can to help you have the type of birth you want. SWHC has successfully helped mothers through a variety of different types of births, including:
- 100% natural labor with no pain medication
- Labor with an epidural or the option to use medication
- VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean)
- C-sections (including repeat C-sections)
- Early discharge from the hospital following birth
Your nurse-midwife will work with you to understand your needs and make your experience as positive and worry-free as possible.