What is a nurse-midwife?
A certified nurse midwife (CNM) is an advanced practice registered nurse trained in nurse midwifery. They have advanced degrees and must pass a series of exams to receive the certification. A certified nurse-midwife has extensive knowledge of pregnancy, birthing, and overall women’s healthcare.
They are skilled health professionals who are capable of practicing in many clinical settings, diagnosing conditions and even administering treatment. In some cases, they refer you to specialists. They are a vital part of our healthcare team and support and work harmoniously with SWHC’s talented physicians.
How are nurse-midwives different than physicians?
Nurse-midwives and obstetricians (physicians) are both equally qualified to provide care throughout pregnancy and birth. Aside from their different educational backgrounds, nurse-midwives are trained holistically in all things related to pregnancy and women’s health but don’t perform C-sections or other major surgeries. Midwife nurse also run our Centering Pregnancy treatment option as an alternative to traditional individual visits.
Our vision Statement of the midwives at Shenandoah Women’s Healthcare:
- Personalized, high-quality midwifery care for all clients who desire it, at every stage of life.Personalized, high-quality midwifery care for all clients who desire it, at every stage of life.
Our mission Statement:
- The Certified Nurse Midwives at Shenandoah Women’s Healthcare strive to provide exceptional, personalized, holistic, and compassionate care. Our goal is to offer safe, family centered, high-quality gynecological care through adolescence, childbearing years, midlife, and menopause. We also aim to offer a supportive and empowering atmosphere to expecting clients and their families during their prenatal care, labor, childbirth, and postpartum period.
Our practice, Values:
- We believe in offering midwifery care to all who want it regardless of age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, and socioeconomic status.
- We value family centered and holistic care in all aspects of our prenatal services. We believe in education, empowerment, and trust during labor and childbirth. We work as a team to provide personalized choices during this life-changing experience.
- We believe in nurturing our clients through all stages of pregnancy in traditional prenatal care. In addition, we oversee group visits for those that choose to participate in our Centering Pregnancy program.
- We believe high quality care is achieved when nurse-midwives collaborate with excellent physicians.
- We value building lasting healthcare partnerships as well as providing resources, health education, and a holistic approach to obstetrical and gynecological care.
- We believe in empowering our clientele to make their own healthcare decisions by providing support and education about their options. We are experts in both obstetrical and gynecological care from adolescence to menopause and beyond.
- We provide care in accordance with the standards and ethics set by the American College of Nurse Midwives. We are highly educated and experienced nurses with degrees in nurse midwifery.
Can nurse-midwives handle a complicated pregnancy?
Nurse-midwives have a close, collaborative relationship with SWHC’s physicians to ensure that, even if you develop complications like gestational diabetes, elevated blood pressure, or twins, you can still continue to receive care from your nurse-midwife throughout your pregnancy and afterward. For more concerns Contact Us at Shenandoah Women’s Healthcare.