What kinds of gynecological care are available?
SWHC physicians and nurse-midwives are trained to listen to you so they fully understand your concerns. They invite you to take control of your own health and participate in your care and treatment.
Gynecological care is about more than just pelvic exams. SWHC providers take a holistic approach to women’s healthcare, focusing on your overall health and happiness.
In addition to regular check-ups and annual Well Woman Exams, they also offer the following services:
- Preventive Care: Regular meetings with your provider help maintain your long-term health, and may include a pelvic exam and pap smear.
- Menopausal Care: Your provider can help guide you through the natural transition of menopause and help manage hot flashes and other symptoms.
- Family Planning and Birth Control: The healthcare team at SWHC can help you understand your options so you can make the best decisions for your family and your health.
- Fertility Care: Your provider can help you understand your reproductive health and maximize your chances of having a happy, healthy baby.
What gynecological issues or conditions can you treat at SWHC?
We know a woman’s health can be affected by a variety of factors and conditions. At SWHC we offer specialized treatment for conditions like:
- PMS symptoms
- Fibroids, polyps, and ovarian cysts
- Irregular periods
- Bowel/bladder problems related to pelvic floor problems
We also offer many in-office solutions for common gynecological issues. A few of the procedures we can do at our Harrisonburg office include:
- Colposcopy, LEEP or Laser procedures
- Ablation with Novasure
- IUD insertions
- Nexplanon insertion/removal
- Endometrial biopsies
- On-site ultrasounds
- STI screening and treatment
- Treatment for vaginal dryness with MonaLisa Touch laser
How often should I see a gynecologist?
The American College Of Obstetricians And Gynecologists recommend, as a general rule, that all women have a pelvic exam at least once per year.
Why is it important to see a gynecologist annually?
It’s important to come in and get standard testing for STIs (sexually transmitted infections), a pap smear, pelvic exam, physical exam and breast exam during your well-woman visits. This type of preventive care provides an opportunity for our providers to counsel you about keeping up a healthy lifestyle and minimizing risks. It also allows us to potentially detect and diagnose any health issues early.