What family planning services are available at SWHC?
Having a family can be one of the most rewarding experiences in life. SWHC providers want to support you through that journey with a full understanding with issues like infertility, unexpected pregnancies, and other health concerns can be extremely sensitive.
At Shenandoah Women’s Healthcare, a wealth of resources is available to you, including:
- Birth Control: Our providers can help you understand the wide variety of birth control options available and help you choose the right one for you.
- Preconception Counseling: We’ll help you and your partner understand how your medical history, genetic traits, and lifestyle may affect a future pregnancy.
- Fertility Evaluation: If you’re hoping to start a family soon and are concerned about infertility, we offer counseling, testing, and other fertility services.
- STI Evaluation: We provide evaluation and treatment of sexually transmitted infections, especially those that may affect a future pregnancy.
What are my birth control options?
Today, the options are almost endless. The right method depends on your lifestyle, your body, and your future plans. A few of the most widely used birth control methods include:
- Hormonal methods: The pill, the patch, the ring
- Depo-Provera injections
- IUDs (intrauterine devices)
- Contraceptive implant
Is birth control right for me?
As is the case with practically all medications, birth control isn’t for everyone. If you’ve dealt with any of the following health issues, birth control might not be a good idea:
- Blood clots: An inherited blood-clotting disorder, or vein inflammation
- Breast cancer
- Diabetes or liver disease
- Heart attack, stroke, angina, or other serious heart problems
- High blood pressure
- Migraine headaches with aura (seeing flashing, zigzag lines)
Speak with one of SWHC’s providers about your risks and health problems. They can help you decide which birth control methods are safe and best for you.