What is Botox Cosmetic?
Botox uses an active ingredient derived from a purified protein of the Clostridium botulinum bacteria. BOTOX® Cosmetic is the first and only FDA-approved product to temporarily improve both moderate to severe frown lines between the brows and crow’s feet, lines around the sides of the eyes. Botox injections are the #1 non-surgical cosmetic treatment in the world. Since 2002, there has been a 400% increase in the number of patients receiving Botox treatments
Though there are other products that use the botulinum toxin, every product has its own formulation and dose, and so these are not interchangeable with Botox Cosmetic, nor do they represent generic versions. The Spa at Shenandoah chooses Botox Cosmetic to treat lines due to active muscles.
How does Botox Cosmetic work?
With time and the patterns of day-to-day living, the muscles in your face that form expressions start to contract on an almost permanent basis. Ultimately, the repeated muscle contractions from frowning and squinting over the years will lead to wrinkling.These are the muscles that lie under forehead, between the eyes, on the bridge of the nose, and around the outer part of the eyes (crow’s feet area).
Skin loses its firmness and elasticity over time, making it more prone to the effects of gravity, and the condition of the tissue beneath the skin influences the surface appearance. In those problem locations on the face, skin follows the contours of the contracted muscles, creating deeper lines and emphasizing expressions that may not reflect what you’re feeling.
Injections of Botox Cosmetic temporarily reduce the contraction activity of the underlying muscles. As these muscles relax, the skin above naturally smooths out, improving the look of crow’s feet and worry lines.
What can I expect from a Botox Cosmetic treatment?
Your Botox Cosmetic specialist will discuss your treatment goals and perform a facial analysis to determine the appropriate treatment areas for you.Though your appointment lasts longer, the Botox injection procedure takes about 10 minutes. The injections are made with a fine needle that creates a minor pinch sensation. Though side effects from Botox Cosmetic treatments are rare, these usually take the form of some minor irritation around the injection sites that passes quickly.
Botox Cosmetic treatments are minimally invasive and require no downtime so you can return to your regular daily routine immediately after your injections. You may begin to see results within 24-48 hours but complete results are seen within 8-10 days and can last up to 4 months.
Do not use Botox® if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, are allergic to any of its ingredients, or suffer from any neurological disorders. Please inform your provider if you have any questions about this prior to the treatment.
For 7 days before treatment (to prevent bruising):
- Avoid blood thinning over-the-counter medications such as aspirin, Motrin, ibuprofen, and Aleve. Also avoid herbal supplements, such as garlic, Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, St John’s Wort, and omega-3 capsules.
- Inform your provider if you have a history of Perioral Herpes (cold sores) to receive advice on antiviral therapy prior to treatment.
For 3 days before treatment:
- Avoid topical products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinols, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, or other anti-aging products
- Avoid waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or the use of hair removal cream on the area to be treated
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before (or after) your treatment to avoid extra bruising
Day of treatment:
- Arrive to the office with a clean face. Please do not wear makeup. You may bring your own makeup to apply after your treatment.
Botox® Post-Treatment Instructions:
- You may experience a mild amount of tenderness or stinging sensation following injection.
- Redness and swelling are normal. Some bruising may also be visible
- You may experience some tenderness at the treatment site(s) that can last for a few hours or a few days. You may have bruises in the areas treated.
- You may apply an ice or cold gel pack to the area(s) as instructed and any pinpoint bleeding from the injection site(s) has subsided, you may begin wearing makeup.
- Avoid placing excessive pressure on the treated area(s) for the first few days; when cleansing your face or applying makeup, be very gentle.
- Avoid exercise or strenuous activities for the remainder of the treatment day; you may resume other normal activities/routines immediately.
- You may take acetaminophen/Tylenol if you experience any mild tenderness or discomfort.
- Avoid extended UV exposure until any redness/swelling has subsided. Be sure to apply an SPF 30 or higher sunscreen.
- Wait 2 weeks before receiving any facial treatments.